Interpreting in the NDIS landscape
Hosted by ASLIA NSW + Sweeney Interpreting + Deaf Society
06/04/2019 | Starts: 10:30 am | Ends: 3:30 pm | Venue: Soliders Club, 15 Market Street, Goulburn
Working together to support our Canberra colleagues
With the advent of NDIS, there has been much talk about interpreting decisions and behaviours when working in this context. It is important that as interpreters our professional and ethical decisions are made in a way that empowers deaf clients. There seems to be different views about what our role and responsibilities are as interpreters, thus a need for a workshop
What will we discuss?
- Qualified interpreters and/or unqualified communication aides?
- Power dynamics of interpreters, NDIA reps, and deaf participants?
- Interpreting in social settings?
- Who pays for what in the NDIS world (dinners, etc)?
- Expectations of participants, stakeholders and interpreters?
- Interpreting decisions that empower or do a disservice to deaf consumers?
What will the day be like?
We would like this workshop to provide a safe place to talk about our work, with enough time to have a talk fest.
|Event Flyer||Click here|
|NAATI PD Points||Recertification Category: 1.4 + Ethics (20 points total)|