Shadow-interpreting in Theatre
ASLIAQ in partnership with Sunnybank Theatre Group are very happy to offer this new and
exciting PD. As the name suggests Sunnybank Theatre Group are a community theatre run by
a team of enthusiastic volunteers and have a focus on developing talent, old and new, by
providing opportunities to perform in a range of productions.
The theatre will be producing a show called Tally Hall – Radio Shows from 2-10 August 2019,
directed by Chris O’Leary, and because the production brings Radio drama (purely acoustic
performance not accessible to Deaf people) to the stage (visual and acoustic), it lends itself not
only to being Auslan interpreted but also to being shadow-interpreted where an interpreter
shadows each actor on stage.
TIMELINE (Subject to change)
– 12 July 2019 – REGISTRATIONS CLOSE and scripts sent to participants
– 27 July 2019 – DAY 1 – Theatre interpreting training with a the “Tally Hall” production and shadow-interpreting
– 28 July 2019 – DAY 2 – Rehearsal with the Cast
– 31 July 2019 – PREVIEW – Interpreted (side of stage – professional interpreters)
– 9 Aug 2019 – INTERPRET ** – After completing the workshop, participants can nominate
to shadow-interpret the live performance 7.30pm
** There are limited places available – preference will be given to those who are ASLIA members and NAATI accredited
People may not be able to attend all of the scheduled events, so it has been decided to offer a
number of packages to accommodate people’s interest and availability.
Due to the nature of this PD we will not be offering ASLIA Live.