ASLIA Life Membership is an honour bestowed to members who have rendered special or invaluable services to the organisation well beyond that of a typical member, either at a state or national level. Life membership will only be awarded to a person following consideration of the nomination by the prescribed panel. A life member is entitled without payment of any subscriptions or other monies to all privileges of a financial member of the ASLIA.
Any ASLIA member can recommend another member for ASLIA Life Membership. This would be done on the prescribed nomination form, seconded by another member and submitted to the ASLIA Executive Committee (EC) for consideration.
Careful consideration should be made by nominators who should realise that it is an exceptional circumstance for life membership to be conferred. The key elements that will be taken into account in awarding Life Membership are:
- an ongoing commitment to ASLIA over many years, either at a state or national level
- contributions to ASLIA which have enhanced its standing within its membership, the Deaf community and the wider community
- contributions to ASLIA and the profession that have seen significant enhancement to the profession of Auslan/English interpreting (e.g. participation on ASLIA internal interpreting-related committees participation on external committees, NAATI committees, interpreter training, etc.)
- commitment which does not seek personal reward, and
- a high level of recognition from the ASLIA membership of the nominee’s work for ASLIA over a number of years
Click here to download the Life Membership criteria and nomination form.
The following members have been granted Honorary Life Membership as a result of their continued and long-standing contribution to the profession of Auslan-English interpreting.