ASLIA Vision and Goals
The Australian Sign Language Interpreters’ Association (ASLIA) is a volunteer, non-profit body and is the national peak organisation representing the needs and interests of Auslan/English interpreters and Deaf Interpreters in Australia.
ASLIA is comprised of a Board with representatives from ASLIA associations in most Australian States and Territories
To lead and promote sign language interpreting across Australia
ASLIA is the peak body representing Auslan/English interpreters and Deaf interpreters through:
- Partnerships and engagement with ASLIA associations, members, practitioners and stakeholders.
- Promoting and providing on-going professional development and best practice in Auslan/English interpreting.
- Providing a professional framework, including a Code of Ethics, policies and guidelines.
ASLIA’s strategic objectives:
- Recognised for professionalism, innovation and best practice
- Accessible quality training and professional development
- Maintenance of standards through guidelines, policies and procedures
- Effective communication using appropriate technologies
- Maintaining a reputation for leadership, quality and integrity
- Respected and valued by members and Interpreters reflected in strong membership
- High public visibility of ASLIA with a strong brand recognition and increased membership base
- Comprehensive industry support, providing guidelines, policies and procedures
- Inclusive practices within the membership and the community
Partnerships and relationships with:
- Deaf community
- Professional bodies relevant to ASLIA
- Service providers and agencies
- Other funders and sponsors
- Good governance
- Excellent management
- Strong, well-resourced representative Board
- Financially strong, well-managed and viable with a reliable income stream
- Responsive to members